View Single Post
Old 10-23-2011, 08:39 PM   #55
KRIM
Banned User

Default Re: Anne Hathaway as Selina Kyle/Catwoman XVII

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePhantasm View Post
I'm a big fan of the rule that, unless a sex scene contributes directly to the plot, it should be left out. Otherwise I suspect that it is just gratuitous / exploitative.
So you see no value in character development/exploration? Because that is an entirely different entity from plot, yet is arguably the most important facet of any story.

Quote:
The question here is why show it? What does it contribute to the story? Why is it there? I think we know the answer. It contributes nothing but bad writing and the realization of teen boy fantasies. I think saying so doesn't make me a prude. I think it just makes me aware of the cheap trick the writers are using.
While this aversion can apply to much of the sex portrayed in mass media, it's just as absurd to insinuate that it must have a direct relation to pushing a story forward in order to justify its existence. Dismissing all but the most "integral" purposes of sex does come off as prudish. It's akin to the overly romanticized viewpoint that copulation should only be performed out of deep love in a sensual, passionate setting -- or some other vomit-inducing fantasy.

KRIM is offline   Reply With Quote