View Single Post
Old 10-24-2011, 09:07 AM   #80
Nave 'Torment'
Vigilante Detective

Default Re: Anne Hathaway as Selina Kyle/Catwoman XVII

There are just too many good points in that debate to follow up on and quote. But I'll try to be concise.

KRIM, I have to honestly disagree with some of your points, while I have to side with a few others. The thing about Batman is that he has indeed been portrayed as someone who is wiling to repress his own needs for the sake of the mission. He is, among other things, an almost pure pragmatist in the classical sense. Or at least, that's the way it has been portrayed since the Bob Kane days. Catwoman's character is always there to chip away at that extreme. It isn't about dismissing Batman's natural urges, it's about Bruce continuing to dismiss those urges on his own, it's a part of his characterisation. I agree though, that his greater abstinence is, and will probably continue to be, a lasting and healthy romantic relationship. Catwoman seems to walk on both ends of that relationship, I suppose that's why they're non-relationship in itself has created a history between the two. Again, it is regarding the depiction of sex in the mainstream comics that has made so many people upset. Not the sex itself. And I agree, this is an old debate. Let's leave it at that. (and by the way - the link on your signature will give me nightmares for the rest of the week. Brilliant stuff there )

Phantasm - I agree with your sentiments as well. It's terrible writing, but let's bear with it for the time being and ignore it. DC doesn't know what to do with their characters, but that doesn't mean we should have to digest whatever they publish.

Boom - bingo. On all counts.

THE JUSTICE BULLETIN published some of my thematic analysis on the symbolism in Nolan's superhero saga.
I call it Heroic Archetypes. You can read the parts on Batman Begins in the following links:
(pt 1; pt 2; pt 3; pt 4; pt 5; pt 6; pt 7)

Nave 'Torment' is offline   Reply With Quote