View Single Post
Old 11-08-2011, 08:11 AM   #22
Comics N' Toons
Viva La Revolucion!

Thumbs up Re: What was Mark Waid's issues with the 1986 retelling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czar Colossus View Post
Has any character had their origin retold more than Superman ( if there is I can't think of who). I just try to take the best of each interpretation. I think he works best when he is written as a man known as Clark Kent who assumes the identity of Superman to use his abilities as Earth's greatest hero while maintaining a life that allows him to stay as much a part of our Earthly culture as possible and to insure the safety of his loved ones. While his heritage is Kryptonian (of which he is proud) he was raised an American citizen of the planet Earth. He owes who he is just as much to Jonathan and Martha as he does to Jor-El and Lara. Superman's desire is to be one of us.
I'm trying to be as optimistic as possible about this reboot as I can, though I do hate the costume redesign and the insinuation that the love triangle of Superman/Lois/Clark is no longer in effect leaves me weary. Bryan Singer put it best when he said "Superman is a strong enough character to survive his own history". If this new stuff does not work out we'll eventually go back to what does.

Very well said. What are your opinions on Birthright!