View Single Post
Old 11-18-2011, 04:13 AM   #4
herolee10
S.W. Mourner

Default Re: Superman/Clark Kent/Kal-El Characterization - Part 1

As long as Superman isn't presented as some reluctant angst filled hero in this film with a set of morally gray views, then I think we should be good.

Superman, by the end of the film, should be presented as the hero that most heroes would want to either aspire to be like or to be respected by.

Granted, I'm not expecting nor wanting a perfect Superman, especially since this will be his early years, but imho, with a character such as superman, a writer or the person behind the creative scenes must always be careful in determining as to what they will give the character to struggle with internally and how they go about executing it.

Personally, I've never seen Superman who's the type to be reluctant towards saving people. He doesn't need to be pushed by tragedy or guilt to go out of his way and save someone in need.

If anything, I could see Superman in this film at the start being a little wary of going public (out in the open) where people can see him full front and center due to thinking that people may end up being very afraid of him due to his alien nature, thus chooses to save people quietly at the start, only to realize later on that by emerging and becoming a symbol of hope and realizing the impact that his reputation has made, that it'll be to the earth's best benefit if he created that person of Superman to represent all of that for the people.

Another dilemma I could see Superman having is wondering if the actions that he's taking are in fact the best ones for humanity and wondering if he may end up making them too reliant on him.

See, these types of issues imho, I think would fit well with the character because it's not about issues concerning if he thinks he's good or bad or wanting to do the job, it's wondering if he is doing the job CORRECTLY at first, and imho, I think this would be a very realistic take on a modern day Superman without lowering the presence and integrity of his character.

I prefer a character like that, over an interpretation where's presented as God like in the sense where he has no issues, no internal problems, and immediately knows everything from the start.

Superman wasn't born a god; and the fact that he chose to become a hero, not because he was told to or forced to, but because he wanted to, makes him stand out the most compared to most heroes in my book. That's what makes him "Superman" for me; the fact that he rose above all of that in order to help people

herolee10 is online now   Reply With Quote