View Single Post
Old 11-19-2011, 11:51 PM   #20
maenalus
Side-Kick

Default Re: Superman/Clark Kent/Kal-El Characterization - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulsuicide View Post
It's fine to have a dark sense of humour about things that don't matter... but not about things that really are.

Might work in a comedy film. Might work in a tv show from the 80s.

You know why?

Because in those settings, nothing is taken all that seriously.

But if your realistically looking at how he'd respond if he saved a bunch of people and they were terrified of him, and you DON'T think he'd take it seriously... well... I don't know what to say to that...
It would not have to be a comedy. But a Superman movie should have plenty of light humor in it. If it doesn't, it's being done wrong.

And I don't know what you mean by looking at how he'd respond "realistically".

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefulsuicide View Post
Guess again

I'm not saying it should make him wanna cry, that he should see their fear and break down and start begging 'please, don't be afraid of me'...

He knows that it's going to happen, he knows people will be afraid of him. That's something he's been preparing for his whole life. So he can take it. He knows that he has to earn their trust, and that hopefully, he CAN convince them that he's there to help.

So i'm not saying it should surprise him, or even upset him in a visible way...

I'm just saying he wouldn't find it funny
All right, fair enough. I just don't see what the big deal is. It's a normal human reaction to find pleasure in both scaring others and being scared yourself. We just got done celebrating a holiday based on exactly that. I don't see what Superman gains by not sharing that common human trait.

...and when you find Hop Toad, give him five pieces of gold for his entertaining jest!

maenalus is offline   Reply With Quote