View Single Post
Old 11-20-2011, 06:36 AM   #22
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Default Re: Superman/Clark Kent/Kal-El Characterization - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by maenalus View Post
It would not have to be a comedy. But a Superman movie should have plenty of light humor in it. If it doesn't, it's being done wrong.

And I don't know what you mean by looking at how he'd respond "realistically".
Not THAT much light humour. Not in scenes were it's inappropriate.

Humour in a Superman film should be subtle, and in the right places only. Otherwise your just making him into a characature. A Superhero no one can take seriously.

And why don't you understand 'realistically'...

It means looking at how any man who was raised on earth would actually respond when his lifetime of fears came true, and people regarded him with fear, looking at him like he's a freak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maenalus View Post
All right, fair enough. I just don't see what the big deal is. It's a normal human reaction to find pleasure in both scaring others and being scared yourself. We just got done celebrating a holiday based on exactly that. I don't see what Superman gains by not sharing that common human trait.
You cannot compare apples to oranges here.

While it might be normal for most humans to find putting on a wig and going 'boo' funny, it is NOT a normal human reaction to take pleasure in terrifying people by exhibiting superhuman powers not of this earth.

We're not talking about Superman showing up and people having a 'bit of a fright', maybe jumping a bit, Superman chortling and then them all having a laugh when they realise how silly it was to have been startled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosawa View Post
Well, there's a difference in a fun Halloween scare and the public actually having deeply seated fears of Superman. I think he wouldn't just laugh it off if most people were legit scared of him. Now criminals, that's a different thing.
But even Batman isn't out to scare the innocent, only the guilty:
Exactly

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
hopefuldreamer is online now   Reply With Quote