View Single Post
Old 11-30-2011, 05:31 PM   #33
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Default Re: Superman/Clark Kent/Kal-El Characterization - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
Well I agree that there's no such thing as a totally unrelatable character. What I'm trying to illustrate is that some characters require a mental step that the audience isn't willing to take. That will cause them to be perceived as 'unrelatable' by that audience. I think we're totally agreeing, but the way I would put it, it's more than just characterization, there is a skill in introducing 'far out' concepts in a way that is anchored in the characterization.

Funny enough, it's superman's morality that is often perceived as not being born out of his characterization... typically by a throng of cynics who simply don't believe in being a better person, even if they wanted to be at one time. The other complaint I hear a lot is that Superman's powers solve the vast majority of personal problems.
I think your right actually.

It is hard for people to relate to a good person, with no bad boy streak, no chequered past, no selfishness/arrogance/high school boy style fear/troubles to overcome before you eventually, maybe even reluctantly, become a hero...

I guess I just wish it wasn't.

When I look at Superman, in terms of his morality, his choices, his dedication to his 'idea' of being a superhero... I DON'T see something unrealistic.

Because I think, if I were given the chance, I would do the same. Or at least, I hope I would, and I can imagine how it would feel, how wonderful it could be and at the same time what a sacrifice it would be.

I mean, if I was to wake up in the morning with Super Powers, I would try so hard to follow Superman's example... not Spiderman's or Batman's or anyone elses. Because he's the best you can hope to achieve. He is the highest point of heroism a person can get IMO. There is no hero who is MORE heroic than him.

I guess most people just stop at the very idea of being a Superhero that has all that power with no history of abusing it, and think 'Come on... there's no way you wouldn't have used your x-ray vision to have a peak'.

As for his power's solving personal problems... I really don't see how

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
hopefuldreamer is offline   Reply With Quote