View Single Post
Old 12-01-2011, 04:57 PM   #34
El Payaso
Banned User

Default Re: Batman Begins Best Origin Movie ever ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellTheWeird View Post
Not so much that he was some sort of bumbling, rookie film maker. Just that he hadn't reached his peak, yet. As of right now, from I'd say from The Dark Knight onwards, I would say Nolan is at his peak in terms of film making. Much the same way Burton peaked in the late 80's, early 90's, the way Scorcese peaked in the late 70's, early 80's, etc.
I get the impression that by 'peak' you mean 'peak of popularity.' Memento was so much better than Batman Begins. I mean, Nolan was a better director by 2005 than he showed in BB.

Quote:
Goyer's one liners at times, almost killed entire scenes. Specifically, the almost un-forgiveable "nice coat" line to me. It was SO forced, and out of place. I can't believe Nolan let that cap to an otherwise great scene, slip. It was like the ALIEN debut, but with Batman ... and then he says "nice coat" to coincidentally the same hobo he met 8 years earlier before he left Gotham. I didn't buy it, and didn't really see the purpose.
Goyer was really obssessed with 3 things. Having characters preaching, repeat the word fear and make jokes whenever he could.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure the half backed love interest was still studio enforced, and I still feel it has more logic and believability (how the characters are written) as being more believable than other comic book movies where characters instantly fall in love with people they just met. It's just Katie Holmes can't act, and Bale is notoriously horrible playing someone who is in love with another character.
Sure, Holmes can't act and all, and Bale and her had 0 chemistry. But I don't see Rachel any more believable than most of other superhero movies' love interests.

She and Bruce were childhood friends. Then he comes back from Tibet and BAM! they were in love. And by the end she kisses him... just to explain him that that was not love.

I mean, not only was the character bad, but her relationship with Bruce didn't make any sense. It was a blur. Was it love? She just cared about him as a sister?

I know Lois wins as a love interest for Superman far above Rachel and Bruce.

Quote:
I don't mind the quick cuts, and edit, making the character of Batman appear mysterious, monsterous, and very ninja like ... I get what Nolan was going for there.
Everybody got the purpose of it. In fact everybody did the very first time it was used. Which is why repeating the same thing again and again was pointless. And even sadder because Batman was barely seen in a Batman origin movie.

Quote:
I can excuse some of these things, but I kinf of get that sense that you really didn't like this film, so I don't think it's as bad as you make it out to be on the whole.
I assure you that I liked BB more than Spiderman 1, X-Men 2, Thor and many others that are popularly regarded as great.

But when we're talking origin movies, it's far from being the best.

Quote:
I absolutely think it's the best origin movie, for me. Batman Begins and Iron Man is right at it's heels. Mainly for RDJ and his character arc. But BEGINS cliched 3rd act (which defines almost all "comic book film") is still better than Iron Man's ATROCIOUSLY corny 3rd act.

The lines of dialogue in the 3rd act, make the at times off putting corny lines from BEGINS look like child's play. haha
I don't remember the bad dialogue in Iron Man - which I think is a much better superhero movie than BB - but if there's some in the third act, BB has it all over the three acts. Now the tone of Iron Man was considerably different than that of BB's. When you play the serious realistic tone and you run free with bad dialogue then it shows much more than when you have RDJ in the lead role in a movie that doesn't pretend to be more than good fun.

And then again, Pepper Potts is the first great love interest that I've seen in years and years. Forced by the studios or not.

El Payaso is offline   Reply With Quote