View Single Post
Old 12-01-2011, 05:09 PM   #36
SmellTheWeird
Banned User

Default Re: Batman Begins Best Origin Movie ever ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Payaso View Post
I get the impression that by 'peak' you mean 'peak of popularity.' Memento was so much better than Batman Begins. I mean, Nolan was a better director by 2005 than he showed in BB.
And peak in terms of skill. Sure Memento was a better movie, I can agree with that, but it was his second film. You don't peak skill wise in your 2nd film.

Quote:
Having characters preaching
These actually made sense, given the story was about a lost, confused, angry man who needed guidance.

And the characters that do preach make sense as well. Alfred, Ducard, Falcone ... it didn't put a damper on things at all.

You can't go for subtle dialogue when the point of the film is building up a grand ideology for a mythic character, in such a short time frame while also having to "service" the typical blockbuster / comic book movie cliches (hello, 3rd act) ... that's why the first 2/3 of the movie are absolutely brillaint. If they got rid of the whole blockbuster perspective, the film could've been even more intensly personal, and as a result, better.

Quote:
But I don't see Rachel any more believable than most of other superhero movies' love interests.
I do ... through context you know they have spent a life time knowing each other intimately.

Makes perfect sense to me.

Quote:
Everybody got the purpose of it. In fact everybody did the very first time it was used. Which is why repeating the same thing again and again was pointless. And even sadder because Batman was barely seen in a Batman origin movie.
I saw plenty of Batman. Maybe I just have quicker eyes than you, or others? Not to mention there were numerous money shots of Batman crouching, or surverying the city. It was all there in spades. I can post screen caps if you'd like.

I didn't need the camera lingering on him during fight scenes. It dilutes the impact in what they were going for ...

Then it becomes action movie cliche, becomes as Ra's says "a dance" ... the violence loses it's threat.

Quote:
But when we're talking origin movies, it's far from being the best.
Far from the best? Please. Even with it's flaws ...

At worst it's right there with the best of them ... Superman:TM, etc.

Quote:
I don't remember the bad dialogue in Iron Man - which I think is a much better superhero movie than BB - but if there's some in the third act, BB has it all over the three acts.
BEGINS has corny-ness sprinkled here and there through three acts.

Iron Man turns into all out crap-fest verbally in act number 3.

It's so condensed and at the film's climax, it makes things way worse.

Last edited by SmellTheWeird; 12-01-2011 at 05:14 PM.
SmellTheWeird is offline   Reply With Quote