View Single Post
Old 12-02-2011, 01:04 AM   #41
Brother Jack
Confirmed Casual

Default Re: Batman Begins Best Origin Movie ever ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CConn View Post
Honestly, the biggest disappointment with BB for me was, strangely, the direction. The news of a new Batman movie and the BB script got me back into Batman and comics for the first time since I was 9, and when I read the script, I imagined this sweeping epic, with rich scenery and vast landscapes and incredibly cool action scenes. Honestly, I kind of imagined it to look like Inception or even The Dark Knight.

But Nolan hadn't developed his skill as a director at that point, and BB ended up looking a lot smaller-scale than I would have liked. The cinematography and general feel of the film was more akin to Nolan's low budget Insomnia than his later epics.

And it's really a shame, as I honestly believe BB if remade today (and of course rewritten by Jonathan Nolan) could be an incredibly expensive and epic film that would have people leaving the theater in awe like TDK did.
I actually dig the intimacy that it has, especially in its first act which plays almost like an indie character study of Bruce Wayne. It's not something you see very often in films like these. But towards the end of the movie it does kind of devolves into a derivative popcorn flick, not entirely congruent with its beginning.

Brother Jack is offline   Reply With Quote