View Single Post
Old 12-04-2011, 08:30 AM   #36
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Default Re: The Best, The Worst of Smallville

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Fan View Post
2. Exodus - while Promise is my least favorite if there was one episode that I could argue is worse it's this one. It just seems like the show threw out everything in this episode to try create "drama"(Jor-El being a dick, wedding, Helen is now evil, Chloe is a basket case, Martha's pregnancy). I think the only saving grace over Promise is if I break down the episode minute by minute I probably can find 5-6 minutes worth of stuff I find somewhat entertaining. I know alot of people consider Calling-Exile as some high point of the series, I personally find it the start of bad writing on the show and Exodus is the peak of that bad forced drama.

4. Traveler - I don't think there is one episode that screams we(ie the producers/writers) can't give 2 craps about Clark Kent any more then this one. If the Clark being stuck in a cage for the bulk of the episode and needing to be saved wasn't bad enough, I was even more pissed that they didn't even allow him to save his cousin and revive her memories(that's something I would think the main hero of the show should do, especially since she is his blood relative). Whenever I watch this episode I just can't ignore how little interest the writers had writing for Clark around this period and it annoys me to no end.
Completely agree with both of those points.

Traveler really bugged me for another reason too.

It just didn't seem like enough of a big deal to me.

Most people at the time thought I was just being a drama queen, but for me it was completely underwhelming.

I mean, this is Clark's absolute nightmare. The things he and his parents have been terrified of since he was a little kid. The thing he's likely had nightmares about his entire life!

I think I was just expecting a bit more intensity and a bit more fallout from it. Not for him to be smiling and making jokes the min Kara is there. Not for him to settle for giving Lionel a 'telling off'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Fan View Post
Crush is probably my least favorite episode of Season 1(Obscura and Shimmer get a couple votes as well). That being said if I had to rate it amongst the entire series it would probably would barely make my worst 40 episodes list. Other then S1, Season 9 is the only other season that I really don't have a highly ranking worst episode(although Pandora, Roulette and Disciple get some worst 40 consideration)

Crush falls in that category of nothing that good but nothing standout terrible either in it(that generally fall in my bottom 30-60 range). In general I usually can forgive boring episodes if it really doesn't add much to the overblown drama on the show. I believe of my worst 20 episodes only 2 aren't tied to bigger storylines(Relic and Ageless fall in that 15-20 range)
You've inspired me to do a top 40 worst episodes

Spoiler!!! Click to Read!:

1.Requiem
2.Power
3.Supergirl
4.Ageless
5.Sleeper
6.Doomsday
7.Eternal
8.Veritas
9.Trespass
10.Hero
11.Fierce
12.Precipice
13.Forever
14.Static
15.Lockdown
16.Velocity
17.Bound
18.Subterranean
19.Magnetic
20.Action
21.Blue
22.Lara
23.Kara
24.Fragile
25.Redux
26.Gemini
27.Beast
28.Kandor
29.Drone
30.Hostage
31.Collaterol
32.Exodus
33.Calling
34.Traveler
35.Abyss
36.Persuasion
37.Fortune
38.Charade
39.Arctic
40.Booster

I also wanted to give Abyss a special mention as the episode I have argued the most about.

The 'mind rape' discussion that started on another forum was literally the most intense debate i've ever had in my life

The only reason it's not further down my list is that I really like the episode other than that last idiot Clark moment.

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
hopefuldreamer is offline   Reply With Quote