View Single Post
Old 12-14-2011, 02:37 PM   #49
hopefuldreamer
Clark Kent > Superman

Default Re: What was Mark Waid's issues with the 1986 retelling?

I'm going to start this post by saying that I grew up on Lois and Clark as a kid, and because of that I used to defend Byrne's stories.

But it hasn't taken a lot for me to kind of question their quality, and the intentions behind the entire Byrne reboot, which basically stripped the character of certain qualities and 'marvelised' him in a failed attempt to increase popularity.

Also, Birthright is my favourite origin story, bar the young Lex stuff.

I love how Clark is characterised, how his decision to become Superman is fleshed out, how his relationship with Lois begins, and how the world is introduced to him.

[QUOTE=theMan-Bat;21662613]
There is no more "real" version of Superman than the original Golden Age version that was conceived and created by Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMan-Bat View Post
That's right. The Golden Age Superman, written by Jerry Siegel, didn't even know about Krypton. Superman in the comics didn't learn of Krypton and Kryptonite until Superman #61 (1949), written by Bill Finger. "
Are you suggesting that after Golden Age, Superman's stories and direction became suddenly no longer up to Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster?