View Single Post
Old 12-14-2011, 03:37 PM   #49
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Default Re: What was Mark Waid's issues with the 1986 retelling?

I'm going to start this post by saying that I grew up on Lois and Clark as a kid, and because of that I used to defend Byrne's stories.

But it hasn't taken a lot for me to kind of question their quality, and the intentions behind the entire Byrne reboot, which basically stripped the character of certain qualities and 'marvelised' him in a failed attempt to increase popularity.

Also, Birthright is my favourite origin story, bar the young Lex stuff.

I love how Clark is characterised, how his decision to become Superman is fleshed out, how his relationship with Lois begins, and how the world is introduced to him.

[QUOTE=theMan-Bat;21662613]
There is no more "real" version of Superman than the original Golden Age version that was conceived and created by Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMan-Bat View Post
That's right. The Golden Age Superman, written by Jerry Siegel, didn't even know about Krypton. Superman in the comics didn't learn of Krypton and Kryptonite until Superman #61 (1949), written by Bill Finger. "
Are you suggesting that after Golden Age, Superman's stories and direction became suddenly no longer up to Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster?

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*
hopefuldreamer is offline   Reply With Quote