View Single Post
Old 12-15-2011, 08:25 PM   #21
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Default Re: The "Nolan's views on Batman villains" thread

When did he say he viewed most of Batman's villains as watered down Jokers?

I personally think Riddler is a bit of a reworked Joker who is much smaller in scale, so if that means "watered down," I guess so. There are plenty of similar villains, Scarecrow and Mad Hatter, Penguin and Black Mask and Scarface, arguably Catwoman and Poison Ivy (at least in early incarnations...they've both changed greatly since).

However, all of them being The Joker? Only The Riddler strikes me as evidently similar and considering Nolan has found room to use Ra's Al Ghul, Two-Face, Bane, Catwoman and Scarecrow--none of whom are remotely similar to The Joker and the only one of whom I feel he's taken major liberties with is Bane--I really don't see the point.

But I do think there are plenty of repetitive threats and story conventions used in Batman tales. I think if one imagines Nolan doing Riddler, it would look too similar to Joker. Mr. Freeze, Poison Ivy and Clayface are too fantastical for this film series. Mad Hatter is not big enough in scope and repeats Scarecrow. You can't do Harley Quinn without Joker. There is only so much of the A-list left at that point.

--John Adams
DACrowe is offline   Reply With Quote