View Single Post
Old 12-19-2011, 09:49 AM   #52
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Default Re: Superman/Clark Kent/Kal-El Characterization - Part 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
You either die a hero...or live long enough to see yourself work like Superman.

Yeah that's pretty much the gist.

I think Batman's different in many ways, especially Nolan's Batman.

Batman for him is a creation that serves a specific purpose. He's working towards a goal that he actually sees, and he thinks once it's achieved his creation has served it's purpose.

It's not about naturally being an everyday hero, it's about following in his dads footsteps and using his power and skills to make Gotham a better place in the big picture.

Superman is so different from that.

Putting on that costume and adopting that persona, while it can be about creating the symbol and inspiring hope in the big picture, it's first and foremost a way for him to be able to save people's lives without everyone knowing who he is or where he's from (smallville).

This is especially evident if you have him saving people before donning the costume (like it appears he is in the oil rig scene). You can show that he's just the kind of guy that can't watch people in trouble if he can help - but that everytime he does it, he has to flee or he'll be mobbed by people with questions and fears.

Basically, Superman isn't a creation built for a single job that will be put away once it's done.

He's just Clark's way of doing what comes naturally to him, but without having to do it as himself.

And he's never going to be able to stop doing what comes naturally to him.

He's never going to be able to sit there knowing people are in trouble but think 'no, I'm retired, I'm not helping'

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*

Last edited by hopefuldreamer; 12-19-2011 at 09:52 AM.
hopefuldreamer is offline   Reply With Quote