View Single Post
Old 12-21-2011, 12:31 AM   #91
theMan-Bat
Nocturnal

Default Re: What was Mark Waid's issues with the 1986 retelling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by That person View Post
Perhaps, but there was some Golden Ageyness in there.
Yes, a little with the bullet catch trick.

Quote:
Yeah. The t-shirt and jeans thing I can kind of see the point behind if they want the moment where he gets his "official" costume to seem special. The rest is stupid, but it doesn't affect characterization in any way.
The Bruce Springsteen t-shirt and jeans look as Superman's costume is equally ridiculous as the body armor look. Superman's characterization certainly has been affected by the reboot.

Quote:
They're not scrapping it. Think about X-Men: First Class (the movie). Xavier and Magneto obviously weren't friends in the old X-Men movies, but First Class showed them as having been friends, and that particular aspect didn't contradict the other films. If anything, it fleshed out their characters and made their dynamic much more interesting. If it bugs you that much, check out some of Perez's Superman. The writing isn't as good as Morrison's stuff, but the traditional relationships are largely intact.
In Perez's run isn't really more traditional. Lois Lane was a TV news anchorwoman and is now the Vice President of New Media for the Planet Global Network. Lois thinks Metropolis is a target for mayhem because of Superman. Lois had a boyfriend named Jonathan. Jimmy Olsen is a news partner with a girl named Miko.

Quote:
So what sort of look would you suggest for Clark that would like tidy without making him look jadedly careless or like a hipster douche.
I suggest Clark have combed hair, have his shirt tucked into his pants, wear a tie, a suit jacket, and smile. This is as casual as Clark ought to get while working:

Quote:
So would you acknowledge that Morrison and Waid (especially Morrison) have taken a good deal from it as well?
Waid took the bullet catch trick from the Golden Age, Morrison has certainly taken some aspects from the Golden Age.

Quote:
And there's nothing going on in the DCnU that suggests that she's never going to trust and love him, but trust and love aren't immediate, especially not for somebody like Lois. Keep reading Action, and I guarantee you that a more-or-less classic Superman-Lois dynamic will develop. Should be interesting to read. I haven't read much of Perez's run, but things seem to have
The Action Comics title written by Morrison takes place in the past, telling the rebooted history, the Superman title written by Perez takes place currently. And in the Superman title Lois thinks of Superman as a menace to Metropolis.

Quote:
Hopefully somebody will have the good sense to reverse it soon, but I can look past it for now.
I can't look past it. Writing and art are equally important to me.

Quote:
Leading a corrupt mining executive into one of his own shoddy shafts, triggering a cave-in, and letting him pass-out in the water seems to go beyond mere toying. It sends a message. Something a long the lines of "Treat people right or expect a visit from me."
The mining situation was done to Thornton Blakely, the callous owner of the Blakely Coal Mine in Blakelytown, an obdurate, unscrupulous man who readily tolerates the deplorable safety conditions that prevail in his mine rather than spend the money it would take to fix them. "There's no safety-hazards in my mine, proclaimed Blakely. "But if there were-what of it? I'm a business man, not a humanitarian!" In Action Comics #3 (1938) "The Blakely Mine Disaster" by Jerry Siegel, after racing to the Blakely Coal Mine to rescue a miner trapped by a cave in, Superman, disguised as a miner, teaches Thornton Blakely, and his spoiled, affluent friends, a well-deserved lesson by deliberately trapping them inside the Blakely Coal Mine with a man-made cave-in and then clearing them a path to safety only after they have all collapsed from exhaustion after futilely attempting to dig their way to freedom. "Henceforth, my mine will be the safest in the country, and my workers the best treated," announced Blakely, after emerging from his coal mine. "My experience in the mine brought the problems closer to my attention."
While Morrison's Superman just acts like a total douchebag, threatening all Metropolis citizens to "Treat people 'right' or expect a visit from me."

Quote:
It's not as good as the classic suit, but it's not awful, and I think I can adjust to it if I must. As familiar with Superman's history as you are, you're aware that Superman's suit has gone through many changes, some good and some bad, some pretty much permanent and some graciously short-lived. So with this aesthetic shift and those to come, be sure to ask yourself "Does Superman have a mullet?" If the answer is "No," then count your many blessings.
The current looks are awful and ridiculous to me, and the mullet, the electric blue Superman, were also awful and ridiculous to me.

Better Call Saul
On AMC February 8th.

Last edited by theMan-Bat; 12-22-2011 at 04:39 PM.
theMan-Bat is offline   Reply With Quote