View Single Post
Old 12-21-2011, 11:46 AM   #94
TruerToTheCore
Banned User

Default Re: What was Mark Waid's issues with the 1986 retelling?

"I think I remember Byrne telling me once that he had watched the first Superman movie over 1,100 times." - Jim Shooter

I think it's obvious. Byrne wasn't really working from the comics - the Superman comics he's read as a child were mostly World's Finest - he was using S:TM and the George Reeves television series as the basis for his Superman and threw in the other stuff as window-dressing.

I also remember a John Byrne quote (which I cannot find at the moment) were he said that he did base his Superman on the version people were familiar with, not the Golden Age version.

As for the Alfred Pennyworth thing - that wasn't even from Frank Miller originally but from a Super Friends episode called "The Fear", so I wonder if he took it from there or just came up with it on his own and didn't know it better - I think the idea that Alfred is Bruce's surrogate father is kinda cute, but of course it doesn't really make sense that such a rich kid is raised by the butler, I think that he was raised by his uncle, Philipp Wayne made more sense, especially especially considering the path Bruce took later.

I don't know what I prefer, although the "one liner" Alfred which came from Miller got really annoying. I prefer the loyal servant.

TruerToTheCore is offline   Reply With Quote