View Single Post
Old 12-21-2011, 11:29 PM   #98
theMan-Bat
Nocturnal

Default Re: What was Mark Waid's issues with the 1986 retelling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruerToTheCore View Post
As for the Alfred Pennyworth thing - that wasn't even from Frank Miller originally but from a Super Friends episode called "The Fear", so I wonder if he took it from there or just came up with it on his own and didn't know it better - I think the idea that Alfred is Bruce's surrogate father is kinda cute, but of course it doesn't really make sense that such a rich kid is raised by the butler, I think that he was raised by his uncle, Philipp Wayne made more sense, especially especially considering the path Bruce took later.

I don't know what I prefer, although the "one liner" Alfred which came from Miller got really annoying. I prefer the loyal servant.
That Super Powers Team: Galactic Guardians episode "The Fear" was written by Alan Burnett and aired on October 2nd, 1985. Frank Miller's Batman: The Dark Knight Returns was released on February 1986, and had been written and illustrated already by mid 1985, as Comics Journal #101, August 1985, confirms with an interview with Frank Miller that was conducted in June 1985, and showed panels with dialogue from the forthcoming mini-series.

It was in Batman: The Dark Knight Returns were Frank Miller first showed Alfred recalling taking care of Bruce during Bruce's childhood.

Alfred was more than just the family butler, he also was essentially Bruce's nanny. It's possible that the person who was the closest to a parental figure the orphaned child had left, and who the orphaned child was most comfortable with and closest to, could become the guardian of that orphan child. I prefer Alfred as the loyal butler, medic and father figure, with the dry, British humor.

B i R D M A N
In theaters October 17th.

"Better Call Saul!"
On AMC in February.

Last edited by theMan-Bat; 05-12-2013 at 07:23 PM.
theMan-Bat is offline   Reply With Quote