View Single Post
Old 12-22-2011, 03:26 PM   #48
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Default Re: The "Nolan's views on Batman villains" thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by NolansKnight View Post
Once again ... ok? The shirt look I described would've made sense from a pyshcological perspective of TDK Joker.

Not really. It's always dirty. He lets the makeup rot, the coat is dirty, his hands have what look like makeup and blood on it.

Nolan said looking at him you should even get the sense he smells bad. That isn't vanity in the SLIGHTEST.
I never said it was all about vanity.

Quote:
He looks eccentric, GRUNGY, street like and psychotic. I don't know what "mod" is anyway. If you mean "mob", I don't think the Joker should ever be emulating a class of villain he's trying to one up.
The hair and overall facial area seems grungy, but not so much the fashion. Maybe we have different definitions for it, but I just don't see it as grunge. It's got proper qualities in its own right, even some polish, but again, the overall purpose isn't necessarily to 'look good'.

Quote:
None, physically, what so ever.
Again, if there is, it's buried down deep somewhere and isn't something that his actual fashion is addressing.

Quote:
Even plays into the whole masochistic nature of the character. Wanting to die, "Now we're talking", "Cmon hit me", etc. He's willing to die. He doesn't care about his look.

He has arrogance of his actions. Calling it out on TV before it happens, because it makes it a GAME with Batman. But he's not vain at all.
See again..does he 'care' about his look? Yes, in that there was some thought/approach put into it. No in that he's not seeking some sort of approval or admiration...or disapproval...for it. Basically it's like on someone else, it could be a nice way to dress...darker shades but still a nice pattern on the shirt, a vest, etc. But on him, it could just represents something more sinister as part of the package.

So I don't see it as being purposely 'grungy' or unkempt. It has its own sense of order, but not for the purposes of him 'looking nice'. Otherwise, it probably wouldn't be a tie, and button down, and vest, and.....you know what I mean.

Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)
KalMart is offline   Reply With Quote