View Single Post
Old 12-22-2011, 11:45 PM   #101
theMan-Bat
Nocturnal

Default Re: What was Mark Waid's issues with the 1986 retelling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruerToTheCore View Post
And the episode was probably written way before that. So this doesn't really prove or disprove anything.
It proves that he didn't copy any ideas from the cartoon, since the cartoon hadn't even aired yet.

Quote:
But I don't think he got it from there, Frank Miller just didn't have a clue and didn't bother to do some research, the same happened in "Year One".
Frank Miller was aware that he was making changes to Batman's history. But as Miller stated in Amazing Heroes #102 (1986), "I'm doing nothing that violates major aspects of continuity. I'm embellishing his beginning. You might say that the first issue of Batman: Year One takes place between panels of the old 'Batman: Who He Is And How He Came To Be' (in Detective Comics #33) and the rest of Batman: Year One takes place between that the first story (in Detective Comics #27). I like not betraying the original material because I think it's to good to betray." Frank Miller explained, "Denny O'Neil and I agreed that it wasn't necessary to start Batman over, to scrap continuity, because the character didn't seem to need it." Year One explicitly contradicts only a few Batman tales before 1986. Which means that most of them were left still intact. Frank Miller definitely had knowledge of Batman history as he brought Batman closer to his Golden Age roots. First is the use of the bat emblem on his chest without the yellow moon in Batman The Dark Knight Returns. In the Golden Age this was the standard. Batman carrying and using guns, which hadn't been seen since 1940. Frank Miller brought back Robin's sling shot which had not been seen since 1940. The gadgets and bat vehicles which had been toned way down in the '70s. Batman originally was a terror striking creature of the night wanted by the police. Batman: The Dark Knight Returns and Batman: Year One returned to that concept.

B i R D M A N
In theaters October 17th.

"Better Call Saul!"
On AMC in February.
theMan-Bat is offline   Reply With Quote