View Single Post
Old 12-27-2011, 11:23 PM   #112
theMan-Bat
Nocturnal

Default Re: What was Mark Waid's issues with the 1986 retelling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosawa View Post
Alan Burnett and Alan Brennert are two different people, but that interview you posted is awesome, and while Brennert is already one of my favorite writers, my respect for him has increased even more after that. He also added Kathy Kane to Earth-Two because O'Neil killed the Earth-One version. He's a better writer than Miller and O'Neil combined.
I agree with Harlan Ellison and disagree with Alan Brennert's opinion of Miller's Dark Knight and yours, but I'm a supporter of free speech so I'm glad you enjoyed that interview.

Quote:
Golden/Silver/Bronze Age Krypton is the style that Shuster intended, and I find Byrne's Krypton to be incredibly ugly, both visually and as a society. I don't like Byrne's designs much.
This is the look of Krypton that Joe Shuster had created in the Superman newspaper strip.

This is the look of Krypton that Joe Shuster had created in More Fun Comics #101 (1945) published by DC:

Rather than this by Wayne Boring:

Or this by Curt Swan:

Dick Giordano and Jenette Kahn told John Byrne to, "Redesign Krypton." So that is what Byrne did. I like Byrne's updated Krypton because it is much more bizarre and alien looking. More otherworldly, and closer to the bizarre look by Shuster with their heads covered from More Fun Comics #101 (1945).

Quote:
I feel that most of Siegel's feelings about Superman as a character are clouded by the bad business deals that he and Shuster had signed. Who knows how opposed he was or wasn't to making Superman part of the establishment. But I doubt he would have ever wanted Superman to be treated like he was a pet by the President or anyone. It's degrading to Superman, which is why Miller did it and why you apologize for it.
The President offered Superman a medal and called him a good American, that is not degrading him or treating him like a pet. It's true to how patriotic Superman has iconically been, which is why Miller did it and why I defend it.

B i R D M A N
In theaters now.

Better Call Saul
On AMC in February.

Last edited by theMan-Bat; 12-16-2013 at 12:27 AM.
theMan-Bat is offline   Reply With Quote