View Single Post
Old 12-30-2011, 12:05 PM   #79
04nbod
I need to debrief you

Default Re: The Natalie Portman/Jane Foster Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysteryman View Post
04nbod,
What are your favorite Story Arcs for Thor?
The Mighty Avenger, The entire Journey into Mystery era, Gillen's current run on Journey into Mystery (which is Loki but still 'Thor'), Ultimates 1 and 2. Those are the first to pop into my head. I really liked the end of Thor vol. 1 after Ellis left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalMart View Post
They're not, but the unfortunate thing is that the movie presented a pretty interchangeable character, despite how that poster worded things....so she's easily replaceable.
I don't think it actually did. The big theme was grounding magic as Science, without Jane that disappears. Without Jane and her entourage there is no real plot once Thor is banished to Earth, and its only on Earth Thor displays any character at all beyond bloodlust and arrogance. Jane is the only character besides Loki and his father that Thor significantly interacts with. Jane is the everywoman perspective for the viewer, she's the human angle. There is no other character from Thor's history that can fill that role considering they've thrown out the Donald aspect where Thor himself is human and relatable. Jane does more in this movie than even Odin does and has a more nuanced character arc where she has her mind opened to the fact that all these crazy things are possible, that she is right and her theories are going to change the world.

People say she's underwritten and its true which is why I expect more in Thor 2 and not just dropping her and trying to start again from scratch while throwing away everything you have done.

Last edited by 04nbod; 12-30-2011 at 12:22 PM.
04nbod is offline   Reply With Quote