View Single Post
Old 01-02-2012, 03:15 PM   #93
KalMart
239-Bean Irish Chili

Default Re: The Natalie Portman/Jane Foster Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
It *is* vital that Jane return for Thor 2, and they wrap up the relationship threads established in the first film.

I *do* agree with you, however, that Jane is expendable as a character, *after* the inevitable reunion. I'd be more than happy to see Jane die a noble lover's death in this one, and Thor set his sights on Sif instead. Since, you know, that's what happened in the original comic.

Also, a lot of this is speculation on my part, but it seems to me from what I'm reading here in the forums and in the blogosphere that Thor's success can be attributable in large part to an unexpected demographic: namely, women and foreign markets. As a superhero movie, Thor didn't attract the usual rock-em-sock-em action crowd (i.e., boys of all ages, say 5 to 50), but people who were more enthralled with the quasi-Shakespearean family drama, the cross-dimensional romance, and (frankly) the shirtless hunk.

So I believe that Marvel should be (and *is*) taking this new demographic into consideration for Thor 2; and that means the Thor 'n' Jane romance will likely take center stage.
Not really, no. You could simply mention she found someone else then move merrily along. Some other musclebound blonde guy.

Honestly thoughts, lots of people found the 'relationship' in the film to feel more about lust than actual budding love et al. Not her fault but more the film's fault...even if there was ink on the script that points to 'she's needed because...' Just not one of the better movie couples out there. Not saying it's easy, because it isn't. It's not like people will be pissed that she's coming back for #2, either. But the 'romance' was clearly one of the film's weaker points, and that probably took some more skill from the writer, and/or a better onscreen chemistry that they could work off of. Granted, they're not Downey Jr and Paltrow, but maybe there's something to be found there in a followup.

Plus, is the infatuation that teenage girls have with pseudo-vampires any less sad than your infatuation with men in spandex and Heath Ledger? Its probably more justifiable for them. :)
KalMart is offline   Reply With Quote