View Single Post
Old 01-03-2012, 09:49 PM   #53
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Default Re: The Official Maria Hill/Cobie Smulders Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
Marvel has done an incredible job of portraying its female characters as strong individuals who are full participants in the stories. In contrast to X:FC, all of the major female characters in the MCU had their statuses upgraded when they were translated to the big screen. Pepper became an executive assistant and later CEO; Betty went from pure damsel-in-distress to Bruce's equal as a scientist; Peggy commanded troops as well as being a tough agent; Jane was cast as an astrophysicist instead of the nurse/adjunct of Thor's alter-ego. They weren't just there to be rescued, ogled or demeaned, but instead had their own parts to play in the story.

Marvel should be applauded for getting it so right with the women who inhabit their universe. Certain other franchises could take a few lessons from them in how to portray women who don't have to strip off or dumb-down in order to be considered useful.
And yet: there's only one female on the MCU Avengers team, and she's a Russian femme fatale sexpot in a catsuit.

Show me Wasp. Show me Ms. Marvel. Show me Scarlet Witch. Show me Shulkie. Hell, show me Tigra. Show me any one of those, and then I *might* agree that Marvel Studios is "getting it right" when it comes to superheroine empowerment.

Right now, the X-series is the only one that's doing any justice to its female characters.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014
cherokeesam is offline   Reply With Quote