View Single Post
Old 01-11-2012, 07:43 AM   #679
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Default Re: OFFICIAL: Hugo Weaving is Red Skull - Part 6/6/44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvermoth View Post
Yeah, they could have taken the training wheels off him a bit. Off the whole movie really.
Definately, and the movie would have benefitted greatly from it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Fan View Post
But, they were different types/styles of villain for different types of movies. You can't just make the Red Skull too brutal in a film this light hearted, otherwise it throws off the tone/pacing of the rest of the film, so you'd have to make the entire film more gritty to make it consistant. He was supposed to be more old style/Bond esque. He served as an efficient mirror for Captain America thematically, and I liked what they did with him. Naturally, if he comes back, he, like Cap, should be a changed man. But, I think for this film, he works very well.
I know the movie was supposed to be light-hearted, but so were the Spiderman movies, and they gave us some great villains, The Green Goblin, Harry Goblin and Doc Ock especially did some pretty evil things in the movies which far surpass anything the Red Skull did. They also had darker moments than RS did and yet we still felt sympathetic for them. Even Sandman and Venom, who were a step down from those 3, seemed more interesting than RS, and all 3 of those were light-hearted movies.

RS talked a big game, but he just didnt come across as threatening at all, not once did I worry for Cap's safety, or that Cap wouldnt succeed, and thats because the villain wasnt enough of a threat. Not one scene in the movie had me on the edge of my seat and this was down to the villain IMO. Also, Sebastien Shaw was an old style Bond villain as well, and he was in a PREQUEL, yet still moments involving him had me on the edge of my seat and worrying for the fate of the good guys, despite me knowing they would live. Now, IMO Hugo Weaving is a more talented actor than Kevin Bacon, yet the latter created a much more threatening and menacing villain.

I hope if we do see Skull again, they let Hugo off the reigns a little bit, as we know from past experience he can give a great villain performance.

1)Captain America: The Winter Soldier-9(2)The Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(3)The Lego Movie-7.5(4)Robocop-7.5(5)300:Rise Of An Empire-7

Last edited by AVEITWITHJAMON; 01-11-2012 at 07:51 AM.
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote