View Single Post
Old 01-17-2012, 06:06 PM   #117
B
[insert witty comment]

Default Re: The Video Game Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
Yeah, that's definitely not the finished product. I think most of us saw the model in action, ramming Doomsday through a building and then blowing up a gas truck with his heat vision to further stun the thing... it really was a loss, and ahead of its time as far as epic action.
The visuals from the mini-preview of the game looked quite solid.. especally considering it was an unfinished game. However even in that I didn't like the model of Superman itself from a design point of view. The action looked decent though.

Quote:
Superman Returns was certainly not the biggest dissappoinmnt in Superman games, though that is a sad statement.
Personally I've played alot of bad Superman games & that Superman Returns one ranks about the worst. The best one I've played wasn't even technically a Superman game, it was the Justice League game on the PS2.. the Superman (& indeed all the characters) felt unique & fun to use.. but that being said the game still wasn't outstanding.. even at the time it was released.

Quote:
Overall, I see what you're saying, that you can't give Superman a GTA IV-size experience unless you're Rock-something. But at the same time, a weaker Superman is just... a less cool Spider-Man. The selling point is the power, and that has to come into play if you're going to be Superman. There has to be some kind of building-crushing, tanker-tossing jaw dropping spectacle, or... why bother?

Assuming the city is supposed to be chocked full of action and platforming challenges and etc, yeah, it would takes some advances, not necessarily better hardware, but a few more years of maximizing this hardware.

But if you get away from that game design and go something more indie, like Shadow of the Colossus, or Journey, where the size is scenery, meant for use of your travel abilities, not your fighting/platforming abilities, and just part of the story as opposed to gameplay in itself, there's plenty room for a San Andreas-sized area with our current tech level.

And honestly, how can Superman honestly have any platforming challenges?
If your gonna give Superman an open GTA style world, there really needs to be more to do in the City itself. Be it planes losing engines & heading towards the Daily Planet, giant meteors pelting Metropolis & various other natural disasters randomly occuring. As well as the other standard villian kinda work like Bank Robbers, Car chases, invasions etc etc.

On the other hand I'd like to do alot of playing time as Clark Kent.. similar to AA or AC in which you'd be investigating things with Lois, perhaps even having to perform Superman like tasks without her or people around her realising it.

Really if DC picked a decent developer & allowed them time to toss around some ideas a Superman game could be epically good. So many possibilities with the character & his universe.

B is offline   Reply With Quote