View Single Post
Old 01-23-2012, 01:32 PM   #36
Godzilla2014
Deadpan Snarker

Default Re: What did Christopher Nolan think of the other Batman movies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GothamAlleys View Post
He contradicted himself big time with that. At the time and shortly after the releases of his movies he kept stating that people who want a serious Batman should get a life, that Batman is a comic book not 'tragic ' book, that he grew up with the 50s Batman and thats what he liked the most and wanted to imitate, and that a Batman movie cant possibly be serious.

Only YEARS after he got the beating for his sugary Batman movies he started the whole 'I wanted to do Year One' talk
I wonder which was the truth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BATS N' HORNETS View Post
I could so argue against that. While they are entertaining films and great stories as well, few people realize that Nolan is not really taking too many things from source material. A few things from Killing Joke or Batman annual #14 or MAN WHO FALLS or otherwise are only starting points. He is adapting general conceptions about characters for his own agenda.

Hate to beat a dead horse, but stylistically Batman 89 was a better Batman film.

Am I the only one who thinks Nolan was a bit cerebral in his approach to TDK?

Batman Begins tops TDK by a mile because the film was juggling too many things. There were about 20 minutes I would have cut from the film
Personally, I think that Batman has done in so many different ways stylistically over his 70+ years of history that trying to say "This is THE way to adapt Batman to film" omits a lot great material. I love both Burton's surreal expressionist nightmares and Nolan's grounded, cerebral character studies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Nolan took way more than that. Batman Year One, The Long Halloween, and Joker's first appearance in Batman #1 to name a few more were also used. When I watch his movies I can see the influences, not just from the various comic book stories, but with the characters as well.

The cerebral approach works the best, IMO, because Batman and his world is so psychological. Nolan knows how to use that effectively. Especially in TDK. That's one reason why it's the best.
Agreed.

This post was brought to you by Godzilla.

http://i.imgur.com/6FNiJ.jpg

The more you know.
Godzilla2014 is offline   Reply With Quote