View Single Post
Old 01-24-2012, 11:01 PM   #67
DaveMoral
Side-Kick

Default Re: What did Christopher Nolan think of the other Batman movies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzilla2014 View Post
Actually, if you're paying attention, the Schumacher films took some of B:TAS's great ideas (Two-Face being defeated with coins, Mr. Freeze's origin), ripped them off, and shat on them.
Oh, I know they lifted Freeze's origins and motivation straight out of BTAS. It's about the only good thing about B&R. Though I still think Clooney could have been a pretty good Batman and Bruce Wayne had he been given a decent Batman film to work with.

Two-Face has been subdued with coins on numerous occasions in the comics. But I see where you're coming from with that.

My point was that Schumacher's Bat films came out right on the heels of BTAS and the whole thing was that they allegedly wanted him to tone down what Burton did and meanwhile no one seems to have been paying attention to what Schumacher was doing because they let that stuff see the light of day and went back for a second round no less. At which point he did just what Burton did and amped up his own personal quirk. Meanwhile, BTAS was sitting right there in front of them showing how you make a Batman that is marketable to both kids and adults. One that doesn't talk down to his viewers and maintains the right amount of danger, fun, dark psychology and adventure to appeal to a mighty broad demographic to this day.

Honestly, if I had to choose what Batman movies with Mr. Freeze I'd have released in theaters I would have chosen Batman & Mr. Freeze: Subzero over Batman & Robin. And Subzero was originally going to be released as a tie-in to B&R but because B&R was such a stinker they held onto Subzero for a year afterwards. And it is by far the superior film with Batman, Robin, Batgirl and Mr. Freeze in it. And it's not even that great by BTAS standards.j

Cripes, if only the studio execs had been on the ball enough to find a director that would have brought a live action version of BTAS to the big screen. Batman would never have lost credibility. By the same token, the disaster that is Schumacher did pave the way for the amazing Nolan films. So... 6 of one, half a dozen of the other I guess.

DaveMoral is offline   Reply With Quote