View Single Post
Old 01-27-2012, 11:05 AM   #22
elgaz
Side-Kick

Default Re: Superman Returns made more money than Batman Begins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
I didn't know that.
Did you know that?

BATMAN BEGINS:
Budget: $150 million
Domestic: $205,343,774
+ Foreign: $167,366,241
= Worldwide: $372,710,015

SUPERMAN RETURNS:
Production Budget: $270 million
Domestic: $200,081,192
+ Foreign: $191,000,000
= Worldwide:$391,081,192

Domestically, Batman Begins only made 5 million more than Superman Returns.

Superman Returns also has a 76% Certified Fresh rating from critics on Rotten Tomatoes.

I find it shocking that Batman Begins ended up getting a sequel and Superman didn't.

The critics like Superman Returns.
The movie was not a box office failure.
Seems like the general formula for a sequel.
What the hell happened?
You know those films that get mauled by critics, and/or fare badly at the box office .................... then become cult hits and garner much more success years later? Like Event Horizon, Highlander, The Big Lebowski, Fight Club, Blade Runner, Shawshank Redemption?

I view Superman Returns as the antithesis of that. It actually did well critically and financially, all things considered, but as time has passed people have gone completely off the film.

I'm one of them. Saw it at the cinema in 2006, loved it ........ now I can barely sit through it. I think there was a craving amongst the general public (and fans) for a Superman film after a 25yr hiatius, and when it finally appeared, people went mad for it. It was very 'new' to everyone. The film had some powerful scenes (the plane save, the stabbing, lifting New Kryton and sacrificing himself at the end) which made a bit of an impact on your first viewing.

The film just doesn't hold up to repeat viewings though; you start to realise the whole superkid plotline is a bit silly, as is Luthor's real estate scam, and Routh/Bosworth lack any chemistry and both come across a bit wooden. And I'm only skimming the surface there in terms of what I don't like about it now.

elgaz is offline   Reply With Quote