View Single Post
Old 01-27-2012, 11:17 AM   #23
AVEITWITHJAMON
Terminator

Default Re: Superman Returns made more money than Batman Begins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elgaz View Post
You know those films that get mauled by critics, and/or fare badly at the box office .................... then become cult hits and garner much more success years later? Like Event Horizon, Highlander, The Big Lebowski, Fight Club, Blade Runner, Shawshank Redemption?

I view Superman Returns as the antithesis of that. It actually did well critically and financially, all things considered, but as time has passed people have gone completely off the film.

I'm one of them. Saw it at the cinema in 2006, loved it ........ now I can barely sit through it. I think there was a craving amongst the general public (and fans) for a Superman film after a 25yr hiatius, and when it finally appeared, people went mad for it. It was very 'new' to everyone. The film had some powerful scenes (the plane save, the stabbing, lifting New Kryton and sacrificing himself at the end) which made a bit of an impact on your first viewing.

The film just doesn't hold up to repeat viewings though; you start to realise the whole superkid plotline is a bit silly, as is Luthor's real estate scam, and Routh/Bosworth lack any chemistry and both come across a bit wooden. And I'm only skimming the surface there in terms of what I don't like about it now.

Funnily enough I am the opposite, I liked SR when I first watched it in the cinema, through repeat viewings at the cinema and on DVD and eventually blu-ray I have grown to love the movie, I still do. I dont watch it as frequently as I used to, but I do that with all movies after so many viewings. But every now and then I'll get them out to watch, SR is the same, even though I have noticed the flaws in the movie upon subsequent viewings also.

1)X-Men: Days Of Future Past-10(2)Captain America: The Winter Soldier-9(3)Edge Of Tomorrow-9(4)How To Train Your Dragon 2-9(5)The Wolf Of Wall Street-8.5(6)Godzilla-8(7)Neighbours-8(8)The Amazing Spider-Man 2-7.5(9)The Lego Movie-7.5(10)Transformers: Age Of Extinction-7.5(11)Robocop-7.5(12)300:Rise Of An Empire-7(13)A Million Ways To Die In The West-7(14)47 Ronin-6(15)The Monuments Men-5(16)Ride Along-5(17)I, Frankenstein-3
AVEITWITHJAMON is offline   Reply With Quote