View Single Post
Old 02-18-2012, 11:06 AM   #33
FNSpidey
Side-Kick

Default Re: X-Men 3...seriously fans/people--WHY all the hate?

I must say I wholeheartedly agree with El Payaso.
X3 might have had its problems (e.g. limited screentime), but overall it was certainly on par with the previous films.

The story was much more focused this time around. The whole X2 scene with Iceman's parents was there just to add some social commentary but it had almost zero connection to the rest of the story, which quite honestly was just a single man's vendetta. Sure, Stryker's hatred of mutants did touch upon larger issues, but in the end whatever was happening was orchestrated by a single person. X3 does not shy away from involving everybody in its story and showing, however shortly, all views on the subject. There are sensible and misguided mutants like there are sensible and misguided "regular" people. The story does have a much broader scope, and it would have been even better with an added 15-20 minutes.

Second, the action in this instalment is quite superior too. Whereas X2 focused on showcasing individuals (mainly Nightcrawler and Wolverine), in X3 the X-men feel like a team, something that we had only briefly seen during the finale of X1. Plus, it's not trying to be overly "realistic", spoiling the fun. Storm does fly in this one, Iceman does ice up etc. It even included some neat easter eggs, like the danger room sequence or the "fastball special", bringing the whole movie universe a step closer to the comic books.

I could go on, but I don't want this post to evolve into an essay. Overall, I think X3 is mostly undeserving of all the animosity towards it. I guess it's mostly due to the internet mentality. Fans' opinions tend to have no spectrum online. They only seem capable of utter love or utter hatred, so if a movie disappoints them in any way, they throw it in the garbage and refuse to talk about it again or acknowledge anything good it might have had.

FNSpidey is offline   Reply With Quote