View Single Post
Old 02-22-2012, 07:55 PM   #65
WOLVERINE25TH
The Best There Is

Default Re: Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance - Rate & Review Thread

I went in with really low expectations based on the trailer, but I was pleasantly surprised by how enjoyable it was. Was it a great movie? Not at all. But it was pretty good, and I'm a harsh critic as anyone who knows me can tell you.

I did a full review here, but these are the basics of what I thought:

The good:
-Ghost Rider looking darker and creepier, playing up the horror aspect of the character that often gets ignored in most depictions. The dirty bike and bubbly outfit, along with the darker skull, made for some perfect looking scenes.

-The SFX were great, especially in the object transformation scenes. One of the best moments in the film right there.

-The supporting cast, for the most part, were much better at their jobs than in the last one. Although I think Peter Fonda woulda made a *****ing devil had his role been expanded instead of recast, this guy didn't do too bad selling it.

The bad:
-Cage's Cage-ness tends to stick out. Overall, he did a decent job, but that's because Cage was playing himself on screen: bat-**** insane.

-The snake movements. Really? I think a guy with his head on fire would be mesmerizing enough.

-The contrivances to give normal people a chance against GR tend to stick out, but very few people can handle that balance effectively to have humans plausibly fight against the supernatural.

-The lack of penance stare or altered GR voice.

-Blackout didn't really present much of a threat. His effect was also poorly done.

-The seriously misplaced moments of comedy, especially the very first bit. If you want to add levity, let it happen naturally. Like the Twinkie moment. THAT was genius.

Last edited by WOLVERINE25TH; 02-22-2012 at 08:02 PM.
WOLVERINE25TH is offline   Reply With Quote