View Single Post
Old 03-03-2012, 11:50 AM   #77
Captain Marvel
SHAZAM!

Default Re: Who should be the villain in an Avengers sequel? (Poll)

Given that we've seen an Infinity Gauntlet prop, and that's the storyline which Thanos is compared to the most, it's not unreasonable to talk about Thanos with the Infinity Gauntlet. The guys MO is that he goes after infinite power, and he's succeeded at that quest more than once. But even when he wasn't omnipotent, though, he was still a universal threat. After all, Death gave him the job of killing half the universe's population BEFORE he decided to go after the Infinity Gems, and had no clue that he would've ever gained that much power, so clearly she thought he could do the job. And recently he did kill off all life in the Cancerverse (A universe where Captain Marvel survived his cancer by making a deal with Lovecraftian horrors).

But even without omnipotent power, on his own Thanos or horrendously power. This is a guy who took on a weakened Galactus alone. The combined might of Earth's heroes in the Secret Wars weren't able to do that. There's a great scene in The Infinity War where he's teamed up with the Infinity Watch and they get ambushed by a veritable army of Earth's superheroes. I think about 1/3rd of all Earth's heroes were present. So it was Thanos, Adam Warlock, Gamora, Pip the Troll, Drax the Destroyer, Moondragon, and Thanos's chair (Yeah, his chair alone is a major threat) versus a large chunk of Earth's heroes. The fight ended with about nine heroes still left standing versus Thanos, Adam Warlock, and Drax the Destroyer.

Then there was the story when he pursued the Infinity Gems. He went after the Elder called Champion. This is a guy who's stronger and tougher than the Hulk, and he was made moreso powerful by the Power Gem. Thanos took this guy on with no gems and beat him. Not in a straight fist fight, of course, but he beat him just the same through the use of his own natural powers, his technology, and his intelligence, and got his hands on the Power Gem in the process.

So yeah, I don't feel like I'm exaggerating when I say that Thanos is probably the best villain that Marvel has available to them, and if he's handled right, then he'd make for the perfect capstone to any film trilogy.

Captain Marvel is offline   Reply With Quote