View Single Post
Old 03-09-2012, 08:24 AM   #61
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Default Re: Capt. Marvel/Ms. Marvel Film? (Good idea or GREAT idea?)

The only thing I would say about having Hammer in the role is that he could come across so likeable and popular with audiences that Marvel might decide not to kill him off because Captain Marvel could end up a lucrative franchise that they're not going to want to risk by replacing him with Ms Marvel who, as a female character, is more of a risk to studios.

While Mar-Vell might not be that popular with comic fans, with the right actor in the role in the movie (eg someone like Hammer) he could easily become an A-lister in films. Hammer definitely has the presence to elevate the character beyond his comic book status.

However, that's not to say that we can't have Ms Marvel too. After all, it's not like the two characters only ran in series and never operated at the same time in actual fact. Both Carol and Mar-Vell were in existence and worked with the Avengers for a fair chunk of time before Mar-Vell eventually succumbed to cancer. So it doesn't necessarily have to be a passing of the torch to Carol at all.