View Single Post
Old 03-16-2012, 11:28 AM   #118
mclay18
Sexed-up archery

Default Re: The Avengers vs The Dark Knight Rises - Part 1

Let me preface my two cents by saying I'm looking forward to both of these movies, solely because of the directors involved. (I think Whedon and Nolan should seriously do a movie together, someday...) That said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by metaphysician View Post
Dark Knight Rises doesn't have the free publicity of a dead teen hearthrob actor. Sorry, I don't see TDKR beating TDK's records.
Heath wasn't just a "teen heartthrob," he was a genuinely good actor. I can count half a dozen serious films (other than Brokeback and TDK) he has done. So your argument holds no water.

And TDK changed the face of superhero films. It's sufficiently open-ended to lead into TDKR, but it would've worked without a follow-up too.

And while it may not break the $500M mark like TDK did, TDKR will almost certainly reclaim its record-breaking opening day and opening weekend gross. Just on the pent-up demand and goodwill generated from its previous two films, TDKR will enjoy at least a $400M domestic cume.

The Avengers looks like a great time at the movies, but it's going to have to do some significant crossover appeal (the non-Marvel and non-comic-book movie fans) if it has a chance to giving TDKR a run for its money.

"Come Think With Us."
mclay18 is offline   Reply With Quote