View Single Post
Old 04-13-2012, 11:54 PM   #8
Mr. Immortal
Homo s. supreme

Default Re: Did the fact there was hardly any real Nazis in this film hurt it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thundercrack85 View Post
What exactly do you think a country is but the ideals it was founded upon?
If you think the current status of America reflects what it was founded upon, I really don't know what to say... I can already tell you're too smart to know that statement is anywhere near true.

Quote:
Read the old comics, they were war propaganda. I understand that they want to temper that, with more modern sensibilities (political correctness), but he's still a guy dressed up in an American flag, working for a propaganda machine in the movie.
Keyword being old comics. The character changed so drastically since his inception. Anyone who's read even a small amount of Captain America and Avengers comics knows that he's nothing like that and hasn't been for a long time. As for ''being a guy dressed in a flag'', that's a surface detail. It doesn't make Steve what he is, the movie shows that very well too.

Quote:
The Red Skull is supposed to be the embodiment of Nazism / German nationalism. In the comics he was Hitler's right hand man. The movie turns him into a generic evil overlord with a superiority complex. Aside from making him bland, it's not true to the comics.
Not being true to the comics doesn't automatically make something bad. We all know that, quite frankly, a lot of stuff in comics is pretty dumb. In my opinion, a lot of the changes in the MCU in particular have changed the original material to be much more mature. Here's the first point in our discussion where it really becomes a matter of opinion. I like and appreciate both versions of Skull, and find both to be completely acceptable. It's fine that you like one over the other, but I personally think they did a good move with making movie Skull more neutral.

Quote:
Well, we wouldn't want to hurt their feelings.
I don't know why you'd be sarcastic here. Are you just trying to argue for no reason? Come on, this is an entire nation of people here. Be sensible. I think it's fantastic and frankly beautiful that Marvel Studios went out of their way to make this movie accessible for Germany and so should you.

Quote:
This is supposed to be a movie set during World War II, with a high ranking Nazi as its main villain. With the Nazis as villains. It's supposed to be anti-Nazi. What you're saying is political correctness gone mad.

And this is a period piece. Though it's easy to forget.
It's also a movie about a guy dressed in a flag fighting a dude with a red skull on the roof of a nosediving plane. It's fantasy with small roots in reality. Why in the world would you want a serious WWII setting for Captain America? The movie setting is far more appropriate for this character than a gritty, true to WWII movie would have been. You know that.

Mr. Immortal is offline   Reply With Quote