View Single Post
Old 05-08-2012, 06:37 PM   #81
DACrowe
Side-Kick

Default Re: Kick Ass 2 announcement coming soon

At first when I read at deadline there's going to be a Kick-Ass 2, I was like:

Then I read that (not surprisingly) Matthew Vaughn and Jane Goldman are not coming back and instead they got the writer/director of Cry Wolf (never saw it, but vaguely remember people saying it was terrible) and Never Back Down (a movie so crappy that when I saw it on HBO, I still wanted my money back).

Maybe, this will be the movie that allows that guy to turn his career around, but I honestly believe Vaughn is one of the most entertaining and clever directors working today and is therefore really underrated. Everyone of his flicks are just giddy (Layer Cake, Stardust, Kick-Ass, X-Men: First Class).

Also, I worry about getting Moretz back now that she's doing Carrie. And even if they can she'll be 15 or 16 when this goes into production (see how much older she looks in Dark Shadows). I just feel like they waited too long.

All that said, the first movie was one of my favorites of 2010 and has more rewatchability than almost any superhero film ever made. It's one of those classic meta-films like Scream, Shaun of the Dead and Cabin in the Woods. As long as they get Moretz and Johnson back (I'm sure McLovin will not be hard to lure back), I'll see it. But my hopes of a great Kick-Ass sequel are a lot lower than they were two years ago.

--John Adams