View Single Post
Old 05-10-2012, 01:35 PM   #54
MarvelKnight
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Avengers casting thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
Sorry to critique so hard, and this isn't directed towards just you, but it boggles my mind why people want heights to match up exactly to comic book characters, especially ones that are taller than everyone else. You can't tell if someone is 6'7" by looking at them on the screen, or looking at them in a comic book. In fact, height is portrayed so inconsistently in comics it just boggles me why anyone would care about it when it comes to adaptations. The people who make the comics don't care about the height, we, as the audience, can't tell it by looking, how does it ever become a factor. He's taller than everyone else... how can adding four inches make the movie better? Or make him more faithful to the comics? Why is making the actor faithful to an arbitrary number in a superhero encyclopedia relevant? Would we be having this same complaint if he were 6'8" or 7'0" even? I just don't get it. [/rant]
Meh, No apology needed, I have come to appreciate your posts. Especially in regards to responses of ones I've made.

To be honest, I have never honestly cared that much about height, ususally its age more so for an older hero(reed richards especially lol) however, I think when you think of guys like Thanos, Executioner, people expect them to be look as physically imposing to go along with their (hopefully) powerful screen presence. Seems it's just an additional factor that can add to the character, I guess.

I have tried hard not to fall into the height craze, but it does seem to be a valid qualification to some so for people such as Executioner and Thanos it tends to creep in there. You are completely correct though, in the long run, a good actor makes the role, not just height.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrCosmic View Post
Anyway, to respond to you personally, this is Damion Poitier, on of Whedon's go to big-guys from Firefly and Dollhouse. He played Sheriff Duprez on True Blood season 4 if anyone watches that. Maybe I'll look up his voice later. He doesn't really look like a soprano, though, y'know?
Oh he is a Whedon guy? That's cool. I watch true blood, I can't believe I didn't recognize him, but now that you mention it DOH

I suppose he doesn't, but, looks can be deceiving. Maybe I will do the same(look up his voice). I guess only time will tell what they plan on doing for The Mad Titan.