View Single Post
Old 05-23-2012, 07:21 PM   #4
BobbyCorwin88

Default Re: The Official Rate/Review Thread for Marvel's The Avengers! (TAG SPOILERS!!!) - P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nave 'Torment' View Post
I put the parts in bold which i agree with the most in your mini-review. They went all out with Black Widow and it seemed that she played up her role to the extreme. In the final battle when Widow's gasping for air and Cap gives her the boast you really get the idea that she's a "human being" who's relying on her physical ability to get around to this and isn't backing down one bit.

Hawkeye was terrific in the scenes that he was in - but i would've liked to see more of him without being under Loki's spell. I guess it works anyway.

A S.H.I.E.L.D. movie would have to be the ultimate spy film ever made, and i don't think we'll be getting that any time soon. Watching the first bit of Avengers with Fury, Hill, Coulson, and Hawkeye in their HQ really felt like a scene from Escape from New York. Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's the eye-patch, but Fury's like a more experienced Snake Plisskin addressing the world security council and struggling to give the heroes their push. Coulson, I guess thanks to his portrayal as a "spook" in the IM and Thor films, really made me think about the Men In Black :P or X-Files , whichever. Point being that he comes from a different place in the spy genre -- same with Black Widow, your super spy like Bond or Ethan Hunt? Hawkeye, at least on film, seemed like a Jack Bauer figure. Yes, I know I gave this wayy too much thought. But that's how it felt. S.H.I.E.L.D. really has its own genre niche which wasn't quite realised until The Avengers.

Looking forward to your next review.
Thanks Torment!

I'll take your word for it as far as the super spy movies are concerned. Can't say I've ever seen Escape From New York, but you seem to know what you're talking about. I would definitely agree with you on BW. In some ways, I think she and Hawkeye had the ability to out-do the superheroes only by virtue of their having more experience in the field than some of the team. They know their capabilities and limitations perfectly well and that's what allows them to perform at their peak. I do think that with those two a SHIELD movie would be a pretty neat venture. I definitely want to see the super-spy side of BW and Fury in the next go-around.

Part 2 of my review was back a few pages in the last thread. Here's a link for it:
http://forums.superherohype.com/show...383427&page=39