View Single Post
Old 05-29-2012, 08:40 AM   #48
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Default Re: Love Interest for Captain America II

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeno000 View Post
I agree with this. Steve's relationship with Sharon not only has bizarrely creepy overtones, but it also smacked of desperation and grief on his part. When he awoke form the ice he latched on to a woman who not only resembled his lost love, but was related to her (sister/niece/whatever). And Sharon knew about that dynamic, knew how the relationship hurt her sister (in the original version), and was happy to be second best for a man who was using her as a substitute for his first lover. It was unhealthy all around and far too much like a soap opera to really work. (The fact that Sharon Carter never had much of a personality only made the situation that much worse.)

If I had my way, the writers of CA2 would either leave Steve unhappily single and focused on the mission at hand, or they would give him a love interest who was wholly normal and unconnected to his life as a superhero. Steve's ex-fiancee Bernie Rosenthal would be ideal, or a character very similar to her. Bernie was a very dynamic and interesting woman in her own right and quite a good match for Steve. She was originally an artist/glassblower, which gave them a talent in common as Steve is a commercial artist. He's an old fashioned guy so it makes sense that he would choose a normal, old fashioned girl like Bernie. Not all love interests have to be super, or soapy.
Thank you. Dating your ex's grand-niece is creepy weird, and they have the same last name, so you can't ignore it. It's the same with Cyclops getting with, having a kid with and then suddenly leaving Madelyne Pryor, the Jean Grey look-alike. It's ultra-douchey, and pretty frikkin creepy but we just kinda accept/ignore it in comics. It won't go over so well with the GA who isn't as attached to these characters.

Not only does it not have to be Sharon, but it shouldn't be. I think having her in there as a love triangle like Sean said, with Bernie winning out in the end could be pretty cool, and really bring Cap back down to a human element.

I am also a fan of giving Sharon Carter's role to Carol Danvers, as Carol can still serve the purpose of the Sharon Carter role, as well as be her own character, even a teammate at some point, now with 'history' with Cap. It's just plain old narrative efficiency.

But having no love interest like a B-movie is out of the question, guys, seriously.