View Single Post
Old 06-07-2012, 07:02 PM   #96
cherokeesam
SHIELD Director Coulson

Default Re: Captain America 2: News and Speculation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher_M View Post
I'm curious were all the hate is coming from for the Russo Brothers? The comments on ************** are pure venom. Sure, they don't have a great feature film record but neither did Joss Whedon. Marvel might be looking for directors that could end up the next Whedon. They obviously love comics and genre material as Community is littered with shout-outs to that stuff. At the very least the Russos could increase the level of humor and witty lines which helped make Avengers the success it was. I felt First Avenger was a cold in regards to true humor and had to be somber because of the era it was set.
I'm not the least bit concerned about the Russos lack of experience in movies (besides, they've done at least one feature film), or the fact that they specialize in TV; it's the fact that they specialize in comedy. Exclusively.

Yes, Cap could lighten up a little, but Cap's story does NOT need to turn into a fish-out-of-water sitcom. And unfortunately, I think that's why the Russos were hired. Playing up Steve's attempts to adjust to life in the 21st century for yuks is a terrible, terrible idea. Hell, if anything, his story should be played for pathos, not humor....poor guy's whole world and everyone in it were left 70 years in his past, and yet he hasn't aged a bit.

That's not something to laugh at; that's something to weep at.

...They move like slick cotton on oil.

---Echostation, 3/18/2014