View Single Post
Old 06-17-2012, 11:10 AM   #85
DrCosmic
Professor of Power

Default Re: Love Interest for Captain America II

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
So he's not allowed to fall in love with a woman who happens to be related to the long-dead woman he once kinda-sorta *almost* slept with 70 years ago....? Sorry, but horseXXXX.

1) There was *nothing* consummated between him and Peggy;
2) It was 70 freakin' years ago, and she's long dead (or should be by now);
3) it's natural that Steve and Sharon would meet, since Sharon would be extremely curious to hear stories of the famous Captain America, the man her aunt always used to tell her about;
4) it's natural that Steve would fall in love with her;
5) it's natural that Sharon would fall in love with him.

It's a great love story. And utterly unique, because of the gulf of time separating the principals. There's nothing douchey about the (potential) MCU version of the story; only the comic book version, where Cap was banging *both* of them.
See how you try to make it seem like a coincidence, then try to make it seem like it would naturally happen? You may also notice you skipped over the emotional subtext that I kept going on about trying to focus on some irrelevant consummation. The issue is not that they were together, but that Steve still loves her, so getting a substitute her is utter douchebaggery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullMcGiveny View Post
Then in the third movie, have them fall in love toward the end.

And I think Hayley Atwell should play her. Her resemblance to Peggy is pretty important, it is her resemblance to Peggy that makes him notice her in her first appearance as she's walking down the street, undercover. He only learns they're related much, much later in the comics. and to have some other actress, be she Cornish, Righetti or whoever referred to as resembling Peggy makes it look creepier, not less.

Otherwise just nix the familial relationship altogether. Carter is a pretty common name, so it could just be an odd, awkward and uncomfortable coincidence, or alternatively, call her Sharon Ferguson or give her some other last name.
Hmmm... interesting. Spreading out the love story does make it potentially not douchey. I don't think Sharon, or her relationship with Steve is interesting enough to warrant such a sprawling multi-movie arc, but eh, go fig.

I also agree that having Haley play Sharon makes it less douchey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcvader View Post
Good lord, people how about he falls in love with her over time not instantly. Has it ever occurred to some of you that this relationship can develop over time on and not instantaneously?
In action movies, relationships do develop instantly. They don't devote much time to the love story in a superhero film, unless the love interest is also the sidekick and they have time to work out any initial conflicts before paying off the big kiss or similar relationship moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeesam View Post
Seriously. I fail to understand why people can't grasp a simple concept:

1) Steve Rogers & Peggy Carter start dating each other in WWII. They never consummate their relationship, but Steve promises her a dance.
2) Never gets a chance. He's too busy sacrificing himself to save the nation, and he apparently dies a hero's death over frozen waters.
3) Peggy moves on with her life, and dies peacefully of old age sometime thereafter.
4) Peggy's grand-niece, Sharon Carter, grows up enthralled by her great aunt's thrilling stories about espionage, WWII, and her doomed relationship with Captain America, the First Avenger. She goes on to become a secret agent herself with SHIELD, following in Peggy's footsteps.
5) Meanwhile, SHIELD discovers Steve's body in the arctic, thaws him, and he resumes his superhero career and leads the Avengers to victory over the Chitauri invasion.
6) Sharon Carter hears about all this, of course, and goes out of her way to arrange a meeting with Captain America.
7) They share stories about Peggy, and maybe cry on each other's shoulders about her passing; even though there's a big difference between their perceptions of how much time has passed.
8) Steve can't help but be reminded of how much Sharon looks like Peggy.
9) They team up and work together on various missions, and become fast friends.
10) Friendship develops into something deeper, and they fall in love.

What's so hard to figure out? And where does the "ick" factor come into play in that story? Really, you guys are making mountains out of molehills. General audiences won't have any problem with this at all.
... ten extended bullet points is not a simple concept. It's a full story. We are familiar with the series of events, but the subtext in those actions is... grimy. There's hero worship which turns into emotional intimacy over commiseration, and then in the face of that loss, Steve sees 'a new Peggy' and then develops a relationship with her, that soon (how many missions you think they'll fit in a movie?) turns romantic. After all, how long can two attractive young people remain just friends without either wanting more? In movies even less time.

Also... this is the love interest for Cap 2 thread... if you want Sharon Carter as the love interest for Cap 3, as many of your are describing, perhaps we should talk about the love interest for Cap 2 then.

This Bernie Rosenthal character is growing on me though, quickly. I'm feeling the love triangle, which would also effectively undermine the subtext that Steve is just replacing Peggy, that he's very capable of getting with someone very different emotionally, but he just might choose not to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnuffTheRooster View Post
I don't see how people can't see anything wrong with that whole scenario... Are you really that depraved?
Comics can mess up your perception of reality. If you've been reading about a given depravity for 30 years and its always been portrayed as normal and healthy and rational, then you lose the ability to realize what it really is.