View Single Post
Old 06-19-2012, 06:42 AM   #119
hopefuldreamer
Bangarang!

Default Re: Hans Zimmer Scoring The Man of Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondroid View Post
i think score is incredibly important to a film because it accentuates everything on screen. it's one of the reasons why the og superman is so ingrained into peoples memories. i don't think the themes of this contemporary version will be as memorable as the williams score either so i agree with you on that part.
Don't get me wrong, I love a good score that has a recognisable element to it. And Zimmer has done a few himself.

For example, Sherlock Holmes. When that theme plays I get all excited

But I also thought the BB and TDK scores worked incredibly well... But it's not like if I started humming parts of that score people would recognise what it was.

And it certainly didn't detract from those films, so I just don't think it'll be that big a deal if the score isn't so distinctive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EtherMagic View Post
While I fully get your point, I do feel that you may feel this way because you have no love for, and/or don't appreciate the Chris Reeve films (as you already stated you don't, many times.).

Just as Dick Donner stated in an interview... The first time he was sitting in-front of the big screen and heard the John Williams score while the names of the actors and staff were being shown (right before the movie started), he literally heard the words "SUPERMAN"!!! IMO John Williams score for Sups is the most powerful score I have EVER heard, very telling for the character who IS Superman.

The score is HUGE, The score manages the story, please remember that girly!
The OLD score is huge, in terms of how big it was in the day, how memorable, and how nostalgic it makes people feel.

But you're right, as someone who is not a huge worshipper of the Donner films, the John Williams theme does not make me feel nostalgic. It, like the rest of that franchise, feels cheesy to me. Outdated.

Though my strong hopes that they avoid any reference to the JW theme is completely seperate from my belief that a fairly generic score for MOS wouldn't be this huge fail.

In fact, I could see it as a positive.

I think back to my father. As a farmer, he had a natural understanding for the Earth. I remember him telling me this world is capable of providing for all its creatures. Even now, with so many more people, there exists enough food for everyone.

"The problem," Pa used to say, "is people. As far back as we go, we've always had problems with sharing. Seems everyone's too busy holding on to what they've got to care how their neighbors are doing."

*\S/T*