View Single Post
Old 06-19-2012, 07:19 AM   #123
rondroid
synthesized

Default Re: Hans Zimmer Scoring The Man of Steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopefuldreamer View Post
Don't get me wrong, I love a good score that has a recognisable element to it. And Zimmer has done a few himself.

For example, Sherlock Holmes. When that theme plays I get all excited

But I also thought the BB and TDK scores worked incredibly well... But it's not like if I started humming parts of that score people would recognise what it was.

And it certainly didn't detract from those films, so I just don't think it'll be that big a deal if the score isn't so distinctive.

The OLD score is huge, in terms of how big it was in the day, how memorable, and how nostalgic it makes people feel.

But you're right, as someone who is not a huge worshipper of the Donner films, the John Williams theme does not make me feel nostalgic. It, like the rest of that franchise, feels cheesy to me. Outdated.

Though my strong hopes that they avoid any reference to the JW theme is completely seperate from my belief that a fairly generic score for MOS wouldn't be this huge fail.

In fact, I could see it as a positive.
well i have to disagree about tdk's theme(s), i think they are recognisable maybe not as distinctive as other themes but definitely memorable. i think there are so many parts to the score that the central theme gets lost a little but if i start humming the more memorable stuff some people might recognise it or maybe they think im just some mad person with my own theme song.