View Single Post
Old 07-01-2012, 08:36 PM   #502
Dark Raven
The Gal from Themysicra

Default Re: Avengers Score : Singular, Or Multiple Composer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elevator Man View Post
Well BTTF was 27 years ago. So he's pretty much evolved from that approach to writing music. Though I can hear elements from BTTF (heck even Predator and Judge Dredd) in some of his scores today from time to time. His action scores from the past few years (except The Mummy Returns and Van Helsing) follow his Tomb Raider:Cradle of Life approach to scoring. Which is a shame. I agree The Avengers should've been as "iconic" and "distinctive" as BTTF was then and still is today. I guess TPTB didn't want something "iconic" or "distinctive". I still believe they should've went with Giachinno instead. I'm sure he would've delivered the goods.
I can't see any disadvantage to having something iconic. It only helps make the film more memorable because the soundtrack is so catchy, in the same way that everyone knows the themes from BTTF or films like Star Wars, Superman, Indiana Jones etc. Everything in the Avengers sounds mostly incidental and like background music. The only reason I remember it is because I've listened to the score many times, but one shouldn't have to do that to remember a score. It should be instantly catchy when you hear it in the movie.

What would the skateboard chase in BTTF have been without the theme, especially in these triumphant moments such as when he runs over the top of Biff's car just before it crashes in the manure truck?