View Single Post
Old 07-14-2012, 05:49 PM   #102
Lightning Strykez!
Former Mod On Pension Pay

Default Re: EVERYTHING Black Panther - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider‐Man View Post
Ok, where did anyone complain of T'challa being cooler than they would have liked? Again, just a silly statement. What you meant was they complained about something that you thought was cool, therefore, since 'they' didn't like it, they had to be complaining about it being cooler than they would have liked, rather than just complaining that they didn't think it was cool. See how that implies that your opinion is more than it really is?
*co-signs*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider-Man
And success is subjective. Is a four year run successful compared to an 8 year run? Is a series that ranks near the bottom in sales results a success? Your assumption that something is largely agreeable is based on your own opinion. I say LS wins that round because if that series was so great and successful, why did it end?
It ended because the sales were not enough to sustain it. Prior to Hudlin's run, T'Challa was written as a seriously sophisticated, almost elegant character. His stories were complex and deep and were for distinguished reading audiences.

Enter: Reginald Hudlin.

Hudlin repackaged BP much like a fast food chain like McDonalds does a happy meal: For some reason he wanted to adopt a "Have It Your Way" approach with the character by stripping him of all those sophisticated layers, and then cross marketing him to black reading "hip hop" audience. By dumbing down the writing and playing up the stereotypical references he chipped away at the greatness of the character, selling him out to the lowest common denominator.

Throwing in Storm--one of the most iconic Marvel stars of all time--was just the natural "next thing" to do in keeping with his newfound "Black Power Trip" (need I remind you that they got married during Black History Month?????? )

But people eventually get sick of eating fast food. In time, they crave something healthier. And that's why his run failed and ended, the gimmick just wasn't enough to sustain itself. Storm ended up back with X-Men, the Avengers, etc., because she was too large of a force to be contained in BP's Wakanda.

And don't even get me started on Hudlin's "interpretation" of Storm.