View Single Post
Old 07-14-2012, 09:00 PM   #116
JustSomeGuy
Side-Kick

Default Re: The Official Rate/Review Thread for Marvel's The Avengers! (TAG SPOILERS!!!) -

Quote:
The Avengers presents a perfect opportunity to delve into some deeper social and political analyzations and questions, and while there's several scenes in the film that seem to elude that Whedon was trying to add some depth to the film, ultimately, I feel as though he fell short with his every attempt at injecting my real meaning into the film.
Another thing I have to disagree with...when Loki talks about the idea of freedom being life's great lie, and that humans actually long for a leader, there is some truth to that, to a degree...this is what I would consider the extent of any type of social commentary you should make in a comicbook film. Hitler was a great leader. Terrible yes, but he was great. He drew tons and tons of followers for a reason. In Loki's eyes he would validate himself if he rules them and makes the world "peaceful", to create a "perfect" society, even though it is a forced one. This is what I would consider to be good social commentary, not blatant, obvious, "don't ask don't tell" political buzzwords.

JustSomeGuy is offline   Reply With Quote