View Single Post
Old 07-14-2012, 10:08 PM   #122
CConn
Fountainhead of culture.

Default Re: The Official Rate/Review Thread for Marvel's The Avengers! (TAG SPOILERS!!!) -

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSomeGuy View Post
Another thing I have to disagree with...when Loki talks about the idea of freedom being life's great lie, and that humans actually long for a leader, there is some truth to that, to a degree...this is what I would consider the extent of any type of social commentary you should make in a comicbook film. Hitler was a great leader. Terrible yes, but he was great. He drew tons and tons of followers for a reason. In Loki's eyes he would validate himself if he rules them and makes the world "peaceful", to create a "perfect" society, even though it is a forced one. This is what I would consider to be good social commentary, not blatant, obvious, "don't ask don't tell" political buzzwords.
In the other conversation I just had about TA, I actually brought that scene up myself as a great example of Whedon attempting to really thread some good stuff into the film; I loved it.

That said, I feel as though every time he attempted to to it, it kind of sputtered out before any satisfying resolution or conclusion could be made.