View Single Post
Old 07-16-2012, 11:46 AM   #92
Nave 'Torment'
Vigilante Detective

Default Re: Characterization of the Knight - Nolan and Bale's Bruce Wayne/Batman - Part 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by herolee10 View Post
Agreed; I mean it's one thing to reboot a franchise if the last film was not received entirely well (Spider-Man 3/Hulk (2003), or not even at all (Batman and Robin), but it's another thing where the last film of a given franchise ends on a very and I mean VERY STRONG NOTE. To top things off, the two previous films before it were also strongly received as well.

So really, if Warner Bros. wants to even make another Batman film and have it be successful, no matter who they end up getting and how good that person is, they need one thing even more..TIME.

I honestly don't think that fans and audiences will be ready to accept another Batman after Nolan's Dark Knight Trilogy until a lot of time has passed.
Exactly, especially since you have a complete Trilogy. For the audience that's a pretty finished/complete series on its own. They can always dish out another Batman movie and yes, fans will clamour to watch it, and at the end of the day WB will make more money off the character, but making one so close on the heels of the previous one (just when it finished off) would just seem tiresome and dull. And that's something you don't want the audience to feel.

I know that I certainly won't feel this.... um.... invested? .... in another live-action/cinematic adaptation of Batman for a good while. The catharsis to come off from this entire trilogy needs, as you've said, time to be ingrained and accepted by the majority of fans. TDKR is taking a risk by beign the third film in the franchise - the demented part 3 - when your protagonist has no where else to go. But by placing it firmly within a cohesive Trilogy, Nolan's managed to dodge that and address his entire take as one long Heroic Epic, like Lawerence of Arabia or something. They probably have a term for it somewhere. A reboot this fast would make it taste like movie # 4 -- the buzz, the bling, the badassery of the franchise, but nothing from the original that made the original a classic.

THE JUSTICE BULLETIN published some of my thematic analysis on the symbolism in Nolan's superhero saga.
I call it Heroic Archetypes. You can read the parts on Batman Begins in the following links:
(pt 1; pt 2; pt 3; pt 4; pt 5; pt 6; pt 7)

Nave 'Torment' is offline   Reply With Quote