View Single Post
Old 07-22-2012, 01:17 PM   #49
DieSmiling
WINNING

Default Re: The Avengers Box-Office Prediction Thread - Part 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danalys View Post
anyway it looks like TDKR is going to have a few million more than TDK for it's opening weekend and will be the biggest 2D opening ever but will not have sold as many tickets as the avengers in that weekend despite having more midnight showings. probably because of it's length.
Pretty much. Not as many showing + 2D = a smaller opening. Avengers will definitely have sold more tickets, but it will be closer than the actual box office obviously... People claiming the shooting didn't hurt TDKR have their head in the sand, as do people who think Ledger's death didn't boost TDK.

I still think the estimates coming out now are conservative -- I think TDKR will end up somewhere around $185-190.

Avengers will hold the OW record for awhile... Eventually it will be shattered (obviously inflation will continue to lead to OW records being broken as they've been broken like 10 times in the last 20 years) but I think this will be good for at least a few years. Avatar 2 will be the next movie to have a chance I think.

Regardless it's a good time to be a superhero fan. Avengers is at 1.5 billion (almost) WW, Batman will easily be over a billion, and Spidey is doing great business as well (hopefully the sequel will see him get back to the heights of superhero greatness). Hopefully Iron Man 3 and Man of Steel keep it going in 2013.