View Single Post
Old 08-02-2012, 02:27 PM   #94
KneelBeforeZod
Side-Kick

Default Re: Who was your FAVORITE Couple within the Series?

Truthfully, I don't have one. Gotham isn't the place for couples, it seems. This is probably the least romance-driven trilogy I think I've seen.

That is as it should be. Bruce Wayne doesn't lend himself well to romantic storylines -- though they tried in the Burton and Schumaker movies. He's obsessive. He's driven. He is, at base, married to his crusade. Rachel understood that ... which is why that 'relationship' went absolutely nowhere.

Rachel and Dent were a genuine couple, I guess ... 'til the Joker killed her and burned his face off. So much for that.

Wayne and Miranda Tate weren't a couple. She was using him, and him her (or so he thought). He needed a soft place to land ... and someone to take control of Wayne Enterprises to keep it from Daggett. She was a mole, and needed to infiltrate Wayne Enteprises. She hated him. That's the opposite of a 'relationship'.

Even with the ending -- I just don't get the feeling that Wayne is the type to settle down with Selina Kyle and have a couple of bat-rugrats. I get the feeling he'll take a vacation ... and eventually his obsession will overtake, and he'll be drawn back in to the war on crime. It is his nature. He lives for it. It has already happened once. Selina Kyle is also a thrill-seeker ... so she's probably not out of the game either. They may be perfect for each other insofar as they are both completely unmarriagable. The fact that they are equally obsesssed and thrill-seeking is why they'll never last.

As much as various teenybopper fangirls might wish otherwise ... there are precisely zero longstanding romantic relationships in this thing. It just doesn't fit with the core characters.

KBZ

Last edited by KneelBeforeZod; 08-02-2012 at 02:31 PM.
KneelBeforeZod is offline   Reply With Quote